Wednesday, June 16, 2010

What does it take to make YOU shake?

Every now and then I come across a kids' song that is so simple, so elegant, so perfect that I have to say, "Why didn't I think of that?" This happened when I popped in The Flannery Brothers latest CD, Love Songs for Silly Things:

This album kicks off with "Let's Start Dancing" which asks the seminal question, "What does it take to make you shake?" A bit like the classic Sly and Family Stone song, "Dance to the Music," each of the instruments is introduced and as the beat grows so did my smile.

This album features the classic keyboard sounds of Dan Flannery, the acoustic guitar strumming of his brother Mike, and the sweet harmonies that come when family members band together. They capture the child-like humor and point of view on songs like "Broccoli Yet," "Best Pillow In The World," and "One Wasn't Enough." The music is light-hearted and funky, simple and unadorned and features some great Doo-Wop-esque vocals (one of the brothers has a nice deep bass voice). The liner is full of funny images, like the band paddling a canoe with their instruments. I'm glad to see them encouraging safety with their life jackets on, but those poor instruments will never be the same. Somewhere there is a picture of me and my brother flying like superman just like Mike and Dan on the cover!

The Mike Brady Wrap-up: Funny, funky and full of vegetable references, Love Songs for Silly Things is a great collection of songs. There is an effortless quality to both the song writing and the production of this album that makes it feel like you're hanging out with Mike and Dan while they jam in the living room. If you're ready to "Jump Up and Down," while you eat your veggies, I highly recommend Love Songs for Silly Things!


Kid Quote of the Day: "Nicolas was my boyfriend, but now we broke up," Alanna said with a small pout. "What does that mean?" I asked. "When I asked if he wanted to play Sleeping Beauty, he stuck out his tongue and ran away." ~Alanna (age: 4)

1 comment:

Anne Deysher said...

It sounds good! You really entice us with your reviews of great albums. Your reaction to the instruments being used as paddles reminds me of Jack Johnson's "Upside Down" song where he falls into the sea with his guitar. My initial reaction was dismay at the guitar being dunked like that.