Friday, August 7, 2009

Facebook, (it isn't just something you get as Freshman in college)

Happy Friday. As many of you know, I have been working at a wonderful music school called Live! School of Modern Music for the past few months. This summer they've been hosting a Rock and Roll Camp for kids 7-17 years old. I just got back from a great performance that was held at the Cisneros Foundation in Dowtown Miami.

This is the second time that I have had young bands that I lead perform at Cifo (as it is called). Today the attendance was high, the crowd was excited and the performances were strong. I've been performing on stage since I was these kids' age and I tend to forget how much the nervous energy can effect you. When it's me in the spotlight, I'm pretty calm. I worry more about finding parking and setting up then about the show itself. However, watching the 7-8 year old rockers who I've been working with for the past two weeks take the stage to play was a nail-biter! I think they got some great footage, and I'll keep all my bathtub singers posted once the videos go up. 


(here's the performance from a few months back with my "teen" band "Winter Suns")

On an unrelated note. I have recently started a Facebook page for In The Nick of Time. We've had a strong Myspace presence for a while now, but I can tell the tide has turned and Facebook is the social media site du jour (I still refuse to Twitter). I recommend becoming a fan if you are interested since that is the easiest way for me to update folks on my upcoming events. Websites, Blogs, Facebook oh my. I'm definitely feeling a bit overwhelmed by keeping up with all of these promotional tools, but it's worth it when I see the web traffic that it brings. One of these days I'll have a press agent who is in charge of all of this!

Kid quote of the day: "You did a great job Jane!" I said with an enthusiastic smile. "Yeah, I have been singing this song like most of my life; three or four years." ~ Jane (age 7)

1 comment:

Anne Deysher said...

So many new developments! I know just what you mean about feeling anxious about "your" rock and roll kids. It's akin to being a parent. I'm glad things went well for them. I love Jane's pithy observation, too!