Thursday, June 17, 2010

A Mother's Day Post (On The Heels of Father's Day)

Faithful readers of Singing in the Bathtub might begin to notice that I have one fan who out shines them all with her faithful devotion and thoughtful comments. An album review or a random musing is not complete until it is christened by my dear mother, Anne.


My singing voice, my love of music, my career in the field of early childhood education and many of my lesson plans can be attributed to her influence (also, some may say, my good looks!).

When I was just knee-high to a grasshopper, I attended the Congregational Church Nursery School in Westborough, MA. At the time my mother worked as an assistant teacher to defray the tuition, but by the time my younger sister and I were in elementary school she went on to be the director of the school.

(Here is the class of '83, can you pick me out?)

Sadly, this year the church decided to close the school down, and my Mother, for the first time in almost 30 years, will no longer be passing her wisdom and love onto a new crop of preschoolers come the fall. Though all good things must come to an end, I feel grateful that I can pick up this mantel and continue the work that we both feel so passionate about. And with each new post that I add to this blog, I will keep watching and waiting to see my comment counter read "1 comment."

Kid Quote of the Day: "Nicholas, do you want to say the Pledge of Allegiance?" Anne asked her two year old son. As they came to the end of her prompting him to recite each line she said, "One nation under God..." "No, Jesus!" ~The Wee Nick (age: 2 transcribed from an audio cassette)

3 comments:

Ali said...

I beat mom to the punch with a comment! I always read your blog (like all of mine, in Google Reader). this post made me tear up. I love that pic of you two. And love your blog. And love you!

Nick! said...

Thanks Ali, I know that there are a lot of readers out there. It's fun to watch the live traffic feed and scratch my head when someone from French Guiana or Australia pop up. In honor of the final day of the Congregational Nursery School, and in light of the fact that Mom never misses a post, I thought I would honor her.

Anne Deysher said...

Sigh, I am in tears, too. What a loving tribute, Nicholas. It was a sad day yesterday as we said good-bye to our last child and family at the end of camp.
I remember the quote well, and still think you were a real cutie!
Thanks for the accolades and for carrying on the tradition of caring and excellent teaching young children.
Love you!