Friday, September 5, 2008

A Day in the Life of a Music Man

In these tough economic times, I'm pleased to have a job that I love to do. I get to play the guitar, piano and drum all day long. I get to smile and interact with bright young children. I am constantly challenged physically, mentally and emotionally, but I'm inspired and continue to grow as I teach. 

I have often said that I went into preschool for the play dough, but recently I've been thinking that comment belies a deeper truth. As much as my job involves play, a day in the life of a music man can be pretty tough. I am prepared to sing  and smile over wailing and inconsolable toddlers. I know that at any moment I can be upstaged by a worm digging up from the ground during a concert. I've taught classes where I saw more of the children than their parents did (awake at least) It's all in a day's work.

In this political season, we hear a lot about economics, energy independence, national security and government reform. I think without discussing education and how we can support, encourage and improve our teachers everything else is for not. It's the next generation that will be picking up the pieces we'll leave behind. We need to prepare them for, what could be, a bright and amazing future. No matter what your political leanings are, I think that we can all agree that teachers and schools are the most direct path to a prosperous future for our country and the world. More information about education reform can be found on the Center for Education Reform website.

Well, that's all from Singing in the Bathtub for now. I guess I can climb down from my soapbox for the night. I think I'll close with a quote from one of my hero's Mister Rogers:

"When I was very young, most of my childhood heros wore capes, flew through the air, or picked up buildings with one arm. They were spectacular and got a lot of attention. But as I grew, my heroes changed, so that now I can honestly say that anyone who does anything to help a child is a hero to me."


Kid quote of the day: "Home is where the house is." Andres (age 6)

1 comment:

Anne Deysher said...

Here, here! Early childhood educators certainly agree with your assessment about the importance of excellent education and dedicated teachers in young children's lives. Today at school we had the privilege of watching a monarch butterfly emerge from it's chrysalis, flex its wings, come to life and eventually fly off. What magic for the children and for us, too. Were we making memories for the children and hopefully fostering care for our environment? We hope!